Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Okay, now we're back so let's talk about...

I was looking for some good Solaris tips on disk arrays and came across this blog, Blog O'Matty, which had several articles pertaining to Solaris, Linux and others. I believe this guy had written an article for the old Sys Admin magazine I used to get. I especially liked the post about the RHEL 5 ftp client and there being a bug in the "C" code.

Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 FTP bug

It was the first time in over seven years that I looked at "C" code and I didn't understand the difference between a long data type and a long long data type. I do now as I searched Google to find the answer. Quite obvious in the end as it was just that a long data type had a certain limit to how big a number it could hold. A long long data type holds more data...obvious I know.

In the end my search lead me to http://www.sunfreeware.com where I was able to find most of my favorite Linux tools ported to Solaris. Primarily I found vim, bash, and tcpdump, but there is more!

Matthew

No comments: