Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Mobile Phone Terms

Everyone around me has been talking about text messages, SMS messages, picture mail, picture messages, MMS messages, and so on. This has frustrated me a bit, so I have put together a small definition for the unique items.

SMS - Short Message Service: This is what is commonly referred to as a text message. The text message server is often referred to as a SMSC, for short message service center.

MMS - Multimedia Message Service: This is what is commonly referred to as a picture message. The picture mail server is often referred to as the MMSC for multimedia message service center.

Now that I have typed that out it seems obvious, but that is because you now know the difference.

One of the reasons I needed to make the distinctions is that I am learning how the OTAF (Over The Air Function) technology works. I just read that the SMDPP procotol sends SMS messages. One more sentence like that and I might lose it.

SMDPP - Short Message Delivery Point-to-Point Protocol: Designed to transmit the SMS (short message service) messages.

More to come I am sure.

Matthew

No comments: